Re: performatives and trust

From: "Lynn Andrea Stein" <lynn.stein@olin.edu>

> pat hayes wrote:
>
> > No, I did not mean to imply that it was like HUMAN telepathy. I meant
> > that the kind of internal/external contrast that is so central in
> > human communication (as when you are not sure what someone is
> > thinking in spite of what they are saying) seems to be missing for
> > web ontology agents: they can see it all, as it were, and what they
> > see is all there is.
>
> Ah, I think that this last is a source of significant miscommunication
among
> us.  Web ontology agents *can't* see it all.  I mean this not just in
> practice -- there's too much all out there for anyone to pragmatically
> collect it, altavista/google's attempts notwithstanding -- but in
principle
> -- it's constantly changing, growing, customized and generated-on-demand,
> and there is and can be no sensible notion of "all", even limiting
yourself
> to a particular moment in time.

Well I, for one, agree with you, Lynn.  I have argued in other trains and
with the graph [2] that people (and automated agents) will experience of the
Semantic Web\Cloud quite incoherently, because regardless of their
processing capabilities they will be always have encountered an incomplete
and inconsistent set of statements.  In fact the only way for them to make
any sense of the mess and to experience the Semantic Cloud coherently will
be to create the very internal/external boundary that Pat rightly maligns is
missing. Creating that particular internal/external boundary is the
application that the SEM development project [2] is all about.

[1] http://robustai.net/mentography/CoherentExperience.gif