Re: rdf as a base for other languages

Graham Klyne wrote:

> At 10:35 AM 6/5/01 +0100, Brian McBride wrote:
> >Can you point me to an explanation as to why extending RDF is the better
> >approach?  Why is it necessary or better that RDF be a sub-language of
LL?

> I wouldn't say "necessary", and I don't have a pointer for you, but it
> seems to me useful if RDF is a sub-language of LL, because that way an LL
> processor can consume RDF and interpret it the same way as a simple,
> non-logical application.  Further, if there turn out to be several LLs, it
> might be very useful if they all recognize the same ground facts with
> compatible interpretations.

In particular, I recall something that TimBL stated at the February RDFIG
F2F to the effect that: the assertions in an RDF document ought be
considered either as if or actually _legally binding_ (please correct me if
I have misstated this).

It seems to me that if this is desirable, the semantics of RDF need to be
clearcut. For example:

(not (owes Jon $1,000,000))

Whether the statement "(owes Jon $1,000,000)" is a fact or a falsehood
depends on the context. If this simple concept is not correctly understood,
the rest is hopeless.***

-Jonathan

*** I suggest that we adopt a common semantics for simple logic operations
such as Drew McDermott's
http://cs-www.cs.yale.edu/homes/dvm/daml/proposal.html or TimBL's
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2000/10/swap/log.n3?rev=1.3&content-type=text/x-cvs
web-markup

We can debate Quine's: Two Dogmas of Empiricism for some time, but
regardless of whether there is one true language of logic, as an engineer I
find it useful for us to share and use a small set of common terms.