Re: rdf as a base for other languages

From: Graham Klyne <GK@NineByNine.org>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 18:36:33 +0100
To: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>, sandro@w3.org, www-rdf-logic@w3.org
At 10:35 AM 6/5/01 +0100, Brian McBride wrote:
>Can you point me to an explanation as to why extending RDF is the better
>approach?  Why is it necessary or better that RDF be a sub-language of LL?

I wouldn't say "necessary", and I don't have a pointer for you, but it
seems to me useful if RDF is a sub-language of LL, because that way an LL
processor can consume RDF and interpret it the same way as a simple,
non-logical application.  Further, if there turn out to be several LLs, it
might be very useful if they all recognize the same ground facts with
compatible interpretations.

[Peter:  I'll address separately a related point you raised about such
extension being not possible]

#g

Graham Klyne
(GK@ACM.ORG)