Re: rdf as a base for other languages

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 13:03:19 -0400
To: "Geoff Chappell" <geoff@sover.net>
cc: "Peter Crowther" <peter.crowther@networkinference.com>, "'Graham Klyne'" <GK@Ninebynine.org>, www-rdf-logic@w3.org

> An agent requesting the kb as application/x-rdf-simple will get
> An agent requesting the kb as application/x-rdf-prolog will get

> You can imagine that there could be translation servers that would supply
> you with application/x-rdf-n3, application/x-rdf-daml, etc. even if the
> system didn't support it directly.

I think letting the receiver do the translation may work better in
practice, because often the provider will be unwilling to offer the
information in all the desired languages.  If the receiver is doing
the translation, then existing languages and formats become part of
the semantic web.

Of course the receiver needs an interesting little translation engine,
and a spec for the language, but I think that's doable.

> Is there any value in this perspective?

I think so.

> Does RDF in its current incarnation
> fit as the bottom layer (as described here)?

I'm pretty vague on the "current incarnation" but I think we can do a
lot with ground facts using URI-References as symbols.  Building on
top of that layer we can safely ignore a variety of interoperability
problems.

    -- sandro