Re: DAML/RDF: a semantics and 2 more syntaxes

From: Frank van Harmelen <Frank.van.Harmelen@cs.vu.nl>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 01:06:14 +0000
CC: www-rdf-logic@w3.org
Concerning the specification of a semantics for DAML-ONT,
Dan Connolly wrote:

> >   (defrelation http://www.daml.org/2000/10/daml-ont#equivalentTo (?x ?y)
> >       := (= ?x ?y) )
>
> OK... so it's this level that you're after. I'll try to
> cook up a KIF (or perhaps larch) specification for
> what I think the rest of the DAML vocabulary means. Note
> that this will just be my view of DAML, and I don't expect
> it to become part of the DAML spec until, for example,
> a bunch of folks have had a chance to compare it with the OIL
> denotational semantics.

Our homework (= the denotational semantics for OIL) can be found at
http://www.ontoknowledge.org/oil/syntax/

This is all pretty non-controversial stuff, but it has the not insignificant advantage that it unambigously answers the question what "equivalent" means in OIL:-)

Frank van Harmelen.
                 ----
Frank.van.Harmelen@cs.vu.nl              http://www.cs.vu.nl/~frankh
Department of AI, Faculty of Sciences,  Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
de Boelelaan 1081a, 1081HV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
tel (+31)-20-444 7731 fax&voicemail (+31)-20-8722806