Re: semantics of daml:equivalentTo [was: Comments on Annotated DAML 1.6]

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 08:25:58 -0500
To: Pierre-Antoine CHAMPIN <champin@bat710.univ-lyon1.fr>
CC: Grit Denker <denker@csl.sri.com>, www-rdf-logic@w3.org
Pierre-Antoine CHAMPIN wrote:

> There is something bothering me aboutdaml:equivamentTo :
> the schema specifies that it is a subProperty of both rdfs:subPropertyOf and rdfs:subClassOf.
>
> Which means that when you state
>
>   daml:equivalentTo( daml:Class, rdfs:Class )
>
> you state that daml:Class is a subclass of rdfs:Class (ok),
> but *also* that daml:Class is a subProperty of rdfs:Class (less ok...),

oops! That _is_ broken.

Darn... I was hoping that I could get rdfs-aware agents to conclude
	rdfs:subClassOf(X, Y)
for free from
	daml:equivalentTo(X, Y)

by way of subPropertyOf. But I guess I need

	daml:sameClassAs(X, Y)
which is a supPropertyOf rdfs:subClass and daml:equivalentTo.
Likewise for Properties.