Re: semantics of daml:equivalentTo [was: Comments on Annotated DAML 1.6]

From: Pierre-Antoine CHAMPIN <champin@bat710.univ-lyon1.fr>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 14:23:11 +0200
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
CC: Grit Denker <denker@csl.sri.com>, www-rdf-logic@w3.org
There is something bothering me aboutdaml:equivamentTo :
the schema specifies that it is a subProperty of both rdfs:subPropertyOf and rdfs:subClassOf.

Which means that when you state

  daml:equivalentTo( daml:Class, rdfs:Class )

you state that daml:Class is a subclass of rdfs:Class (ok),
but *also* that daml:Class is a subProperty of rdfs:Class (less ok...),
from which I can infer that daml:Class and rdfs:Class are properties (not ok at all)
(because the domain and range of rdfs:subPropertyOf are both rdf:Property)

Ok, the inference above is a bit farfetched,
but anyway, I don't think that was what you meant...

  Pierre-Antoine

--
Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the
universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.