Re: Logic and Using The Semantic Web Toolbox

From: Graham Klyne <gk-lists@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 07:03:03 +0000
To: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Cc: Ora Lassila <daml@lassila.org>, www-rdf-logic@w3.org
At 06:13 PM 12/11/00 -0600, pat hayes wrote:
>But if this is correct, then what exactly IS asserted by the assertion of
>a reified description? If it is asserting that the described triple
>exists, then there is literally no point in saying that.

If that were the only way reification could be used, I would agree.

My understanding is that a key use of the "reification quad" is to
establish the properties of a resource about which one can make further
assertions about the statement thus described.  E.g.  that it was stated by
a certain person at a certain time, or that it is equivalent to some other
statement, or ...

#g

Graham Klyne                       Content Technologies Ltd.
<Graham.Klyne@mimesweeper.com>