RE: Logic and Using The Semantic Web Toolbox

From: McBride, Brian <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 07:25:49 -0000
To: www-rdf-logic@w3.org

> This is not a rhetorical question.  Can anyone explain to me what the
> motivation is for (e.g.) forbidding nesting of expressions?
> Intuitively, a statement like
>
> (if (wins Bush election2000) (not (recounted election2000)))

Thank you for asking this so clearly.  Wish I knew :)

Many RDF implementations permit this in one form or another.
In SiRPAC a statement is a resource, so can be the subject of
another statement.  The Jena API permits the same thing a
bit more explicitly:

  graph.addProperty(new Statement(s,p,o),
                    property,
                    object);

We think we know how to implement this efficiently.

Not a great help with a clean model though.

Brian McBride
HPLabs