Re: DAML-ont Spec Was Not Versioned Properly

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 23:47:17 -0600
To: "Hall . Marti" <MHall@drc.com>
CC: "'www-rdf-logic@w3.org'" <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>, "Lacy . Lee" <LLacy@drc.com>, "DaCosta . Ben" <BDaCosta@drc.com>, "King . Dany" <DKing@drc.com>
"Hall . Marti" wrote:

> While developing a XSLT for daml-ont, we discovered that the content of the
> daml-ont spec at http://www.daml.org/2000/10/daml-ont# had changed from the
> original: from (v1.2, 2000/10/11) to (v1.2 2000/11/14). Although the updated
> version contained some improvements, the version number did not change, nor
> did the reference (the URL).
>
> In order to preserve referential integrity, it is best not to change the
> content of this type of resource after publication.

Sorry about that.
In general, I agree, and I hope to do better in the future.

>  Versions should be
> maintained, each with unique references.  It also very helpful to maintain a
> change log or revision history so that developers will be able to follow the
> revisions and updated their work accordingly.

I use CVS; I have all the intermediate versions, though
I had quite a bit of technical difficulty keeping them
straight when we moved from w3.org to daml.org.

There is a change log. See the pointers from
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-logic/2000Nov/att-0067/01-editor-todo.html