RE: Semantics of rdfs:subPropertyOf

At 08:48 PM 12/1/00 +0000, McBride, Brian wrote:
> > - Second, as [1] pointed out, inheritance of *values* creates
> > problems in
> >   case of multiple inheritance. If a property has multiple
> > subproperties
> >   that are attached to the same resource, it is not clear
> > what value the
> >   common superproperty will have.
>
>I thought that issue had been resolved earlier in:
>
>   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-interest/2000Aug/0129.html
>
>I had assumed the interpretation was that if resource R has to properties
>sp1 with value v1 and sp2  with value v2, where sp1 and sp2 are both
>subproperties of p, then has R has two properties P, one with value v1 and
>the other with value v2.

I agree with this interpretation (but I'm not sure how we are to understand
that it was "resolved").

There's another wrinkle to consider:  in the above example, suppose that
v1==v2.  I think we then have:

   ( R, sp1, v1 )
   ( R, sp2, v1 )
   ( R, p, v1 )

#g

Graham Klyne                       Content Technologies Ltd.
<Graham.Klyne@mimesweeper.com>