Re: RDF version of IETF RFC metadata (and relationship to FOAF fi les? )

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 11:45:33 -0600
To: "DuCharme, Bob (LNG-CHO)" <bob.ducharme@lexisnexis.com>
Cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org

DuCharme, Bob (LNG-CHO) wrote:

>Thanks Dan!

Sure..

>>which suggests the creator is a 10 character string starting with S.
>>(see http://esw.w3.org/topic/ThingsVersusTheirNames ).
>>

>How's this (considering that I'd like to do the identification of the FOAF
>file out-of-line anyway): I do the creator like this
>
>  <creator rdf:parseType="Resource" rdf:ID="rfc3120N._Walsh">
>    <foaf:name>N. Walsh</foaf:name>
>  </creator>

Hmm... I can't parse that; does rdf:ID work that way? If it meas the same
as this, then we're on the same wavelength:

  <creator>
    <rdf:Description rdf:about="#rfc3120N._Walsh">
      <foaf:name>N. Walsh</foaf:name>
    </rdf:Description>
  </creator>

>and then in a separate file I have this,
>
><rdf:Description
>rdf:about='http://www.snee.com/rdf/1rfc_index.rdf#rfc3120N._Walsh'>
>    <foaf:page rdf:resource="http://norman.walsh.name/foaf"/>
></rdf:Description>
>
>thereby creating an out-of-line link between the resource identifying the
>RFC's author and his FOAF page.

Yes, bingo.

> If this made sense, and the following
>resource described in http://www.w3.org/2002/01/tr-automation/tr.rdf had an
>ID, the same thing should work for that file:
>
>  <editor rdf:parseType="Resource">
>    <contact:fullName>Norman Walsh</contact:fullName>
>  </editor>
>
>Without such an ID in tr.rdf, there's no out-of-line way to create a link
>between the named TR editor and his FOAF file, right?

Right.

> If there was, I think
>it would be huge, because such links would make it easier to connect more of
>the RDF out there into an actual web.

Yes; and we manually maintain a list of our TR editors, so maintaining
URIs for them
only makes sense.

--
Dan, trying out Thunderbird on a Mac
hmm... it doesn't seem to have a "bcc on all outgoing mail" option, a