Re: web proper names

At 21:39 20/09/04 +0200, Henry Story wrote:
>On 20 Sep 2004, at 18:39, Jon Hanna wrote:
>

>>>In particular the use/mention distinction has really helped locate a
>>>problem that has kept bugging me when thinking about rdf.
>>
>>The analogy is false IMO. Mentioning a URI is saying something like "The
>>URI 'http://www.example.net/blah' has 27 characters, uses the common
>>convention of naming a webserver 'www', has no query-string and doesn't
>>use any of character escapes defined in RFC 2396".
>
>I have to agree. I had half thought about this, when reading it, but was
>then take by the following example.

[Apologies if I've taken these comments out of context, but this might be
important note...]

If you read the Halpin/Thompson paper carefully, they only claim the web
naming problem is similar to the use/mention distinction, not the same as
("a confusion which is analogous to the use-mention confusion").  See the
section 2.2 discussion, esp w.r.t. of "expression" as the referent of a URI.

#g

Graham Klyne
For email:
http://www.ninebynine.org/#Contact