Re: web proper names

From: Thomas B. Passin <tpassin@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 16:57:17 -0400
To: www-rdf-interest@w3.org
CC: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk

Harry Halpin wrote:
> Still, Web Proper Names are meant to solve the
> problem in a RDF-neutral matter, and can solve via either a new URI
> scheme or using a new format (RDDL-based) for representing things qua
> things. Enjoying the discussion...

Adopting the three predicates I suggested (with better names, I hope!)
would require just one (set of) change to rdf.  Adopting Web Proper
Names would require two -

1) Accept that these new kind of names have special significance
2) State what the correct semantics are within rdf for them.

One change is is better than two, I would think.  So far as being
rdf-neutral is concerned, once adopted by rdf, the new predicates would
have standard URIs.  These URIs could be used by rdf, by topic maps (as
Published Subject Identifiers), by RDDL (which uses URIs in the sense of
identifiers too), etc.

--
Thomas B. Passin
Explorer's Guide to the Semantic Web (Manning Books)