Re: web proper names

Harry Halpin wrote:

> 	Again, I would recommend reading the part about Kripke in the
> paper. That's the theory WPN is based on -> a referent such as the person
> identified by "Jon Hanna" is going to be Jon Hanna even if he grows his
> hair and wears bright yellow. That's why many of the parameters in
> WPN are option.

I think this is equivalent to saying that some properties are
"inverseFunctional" (in that horrible OWL term), and most are not.

> 	Again, I think Thomas Passim's solution of adding RDF predicates
> is a good direction for thought:
> 1) subjectIsTheThingReturnedByThisURI
> 2) theDocumentAtThisUriDescribesTheSubject
> 3) theDocumentAtThisUriIsAboutTheSubject
>
> Any debate on these? Still, Web Proper Names are meant to solve the
> problem in a RDF-neutral matter, and can solve via either a new URI
> scheme or using a new format (RDDL-based) for representing things qua
> things. Enjoying the discussion...

No matter how you decide to indicate this kind of notion, I suggest that
we first get clear about what is desired semantically.  Then there can
be different ways to express the concept.

I think/claim that the three kinds of relations summarized above in the
three predicate names encompass the most common (by far) needs for
relating subjects to URIs in rdf/topic maps/you-name-it.

Agree? Disagree?

Cheers,

Tom P

--
Thomas B. Passin
Explorer's Guide to the Semantic Web (Manning Books)