Re: Upcoming wave of quad/namedgraph implementations ,was: Reification - whats best practice?

Chris Bizer wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> it really looks like this reification discussion make some people sit down
> and work :-)
>
> We will see a wave of quad/namedgraph-based implementations being released
> in the next weeks. Up to my knowledge, the following people are currently
> working on implementations:
>
> 1. We are working on a NamedGraph API extending Jena
> http://www.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/suhl/bizer/ng4j/
> 2. Andy Seaborne and Rave Reynolds work on a Jena Multimodel
> http://www.swed.org.uk/swed/doc/javadoc/com/hp/hpl/jena/util/MultiModel.html
> 3. Andrew Newman said that Kowari 1.0.5 will somehow support
> quads/namedgraphs (??),
> http://kowari.sourceforge.net/

AFAIK, our triple store has always had quads (well as far back as 2001
anyway).  The session, the way that client code interacts with the
server, has always had operations like "add(Triple, URI)".  Our Jena
support is at 2.1 and hadn't seen NG4J before (it's got a lot in common
with the Session and DatabaseSession interface [1][2]).  I like the idea
of Jena work being done in this area.  Naming graphs is also used in the
SOFA and JRDF support in Kowari/TKS - which allows a client/server
architecture in an RDF API.

The main problem we've had with named graphs is that it can be a pain on
a machine that has multiple names or names that change over time.  If I
create a models based on machine names called "http://192.168.10.1/foo"
and then move to another network and suddenly it's
"http://10.0.0.42/foo" then all my existing queries stop working.  I now
prefer URNs for models not URIs and add a level of indirection between
them (I think this has been mentioned before).

These are links to an external copy of the 1.0.5 javadoc.
[1]
http://tango.nsdl.cornell.edu/api/kowari/current/org/kowari/server/Session.html
[2]
http://tango.nsdl.cornell.edu/api/kowari/current/org/kowari/store/DatabaseSession.html