Re: Ways to restrict the properties a class may have?

From: Jan Algermissen <jalgermissen@topicmapping.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:15:48 +0200
To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
CC: algermissen@acm.org, cjp39@cam.ac.uk, www-rdf-interest@w3.org, b.fallenstein@gmx.de

"Peter F. Patel-Schneider" wrote:

> Huh?  Why would a system that checks to see if an inconsistency results
> from a update and rejects such updates not satisfy your requirements?
>
> For example,
>
> ex:numberOfWindows rdfs:domain ex:somethingWithWindows .
> ex:somethingWithWindows owl:disjointWith ex:employee .
>
> ex:Jan rdf:type ex:employee .
>
> ex:Jan numberOfWindows "5"^^xsd:int .
>
> is inconsistent (in OWL) and an OWL reasoner can detect this.

Ah, I now see it. Of course what I want implies that all classes are
disjoint and saying ex:somethingWithWindows owl:disjointWith ex:employee .
is not an additional 'constraint' (which I first thought).

> Again, I don't understand what is lacking.

Mostly familiarity with RDF/OWL on my side. I did not mean to say RDF/OWL
lacked the semantics I want. Sorry.

Thanks for the answer, that helps a lot.

Jan

--
Jan Algermissen
Consultant & Programmer