Re: Ways to restrict the properties a class may have?

From: <charles@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 02:50:29 -0400 (EDT)
To: algermissen@acm.org
Cc: "www-rdf-interest@w3.org" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

> Hi,
>
> I know about the various ways to constrain individual properties, but
> I seem to be unable to find out if there is a standard way of restricting
> the set of properties instances of a given class may 'have'.
> (Like relational tables form classes by grouping attributes)
>
> Is there an RDF vocabulary for this purpose?
>
> Hmm....what about owl:minCardinality (and owl:maxCardinality)? Does
> a missing cardinality of a property for a class imply the cardinality of
> zero?
> Or would relying on that be too application specific?

>From my reading it would be incorrect. Essentially RDF is an
ever-increasing collection of statements, so I don't think there is a way
of doing this. with OWL you can make statements about particular
properties and their cardinality, but I don't think you can restrict in
any way other statements being made. You could use trust vocabularies to
say that all other statemets are not trustworthy...

cheers

Chaals