Re: Duplicate triples Re: RDF Graph

On 07/10/2004, at 7:50 AM, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Jan Algermissen wrote:
>
>> this is likely to be a silly question, but I seem to be unable to
>> parse
>> the anser from the RDF Recommendations.
>>
>> "An RDF graph, or simply a graph, is a set of RDF triples."
>> (from RDF Semantics, 0.3 "Graph Definitions")
>>
>> Since the graph is a set it does not contain duplicate triples, yes?
>
> I recall a discussion on this topic recently. I believe that someone
> who
> knows the spec better than I do said the formal definition doesn't
> prohibit
> redundant triples, so a conformant program would not necessarily delete
> them...

I can't comment on the formal spec on this specific point, as I haven't
checked it [1], but I think it worth mentioning two related points.

First, most (all?) RDF databases do not store redundant statements.  I
know that Kowari certainly doesn't.

Second, collections use a cons list, which seem especially designed to
avoid creating duplicate statements if the same item is included twice.
  Having worked with these for a while, I can't think of any reason for
this construction except that RDF is trying to avoid duplicate
statements in an environment which does not permit them.

So I would just assume that duplicate statements are dropped.  If
you're concerned, then check the system you're using before going
proceeding too far.

[1] I'm going to be spending an hour or two looking for this now,
aren't I?  :-(

Regards,
Paul Gearon

Software Engineer
Tucana Technologies
http://www.tucanatech.com

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
(Translation from latin: "I have a catapult. Give me all the money,
or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.")