Re: Is this the Semantic Web?

Graham Klyne wrote:

> I was taken by this article (and the referenced piece) because it seems
> to describe the Semantic Web vision without once mentioning the words
> "Semantic" or "RDF" or "Agent" or "Ontology".  It does assert "This
> coming wave doesn't even have a name yet."
>
> #g
> # "Next Big Thing: The Web as Your Servant"
> USA Today (10/01/04) P. 1A; Maney, Kevin
>
> The next big advance in the Internet, which some experts are calling the
> world network or Internet 2.0, is a far more interconnected
> communications network using wired and wireless networks, satellites,
> and new hardware and software to fundamentally change the way people
> interact with information. Instead of users seeking out information,
> data will follow users, producing a services-oriented world network that
> will track people and serve their needs. For example, the basic
> technology is in place that will allow personalized travel software to

I wouldn't exactly call it the Semantic Web, although clearly this kind
of thing could well use Semantic Web technologies.  Maybe you could call
it "Ubiquitous computing meets the Semantic Web", referring to the MIT
initiative for ubiquitous computing.

Cheers,

Tom P

--
Thomas B. Passin
Explorer's Guide to the Semantic Web (Manning Books)