Re: Is this the Semantic Web?

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 11:22:15 -0400
To: Graham Klyne <gk@ninebynine.org>
Cc: RDF interest group <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

* Graham Klyne <gk@ninebynine.org> [2004-10-05 10:56+0100]

> I was taken by this article (and the referenced piece) because it seems to
> describe the Semantic Web vision without once mentioning the words
> "Semantic" or "RDF" or "Agent" or "Ontology".  It does assert "This coming
> wave doesn't even have a name yet."

I saw this at the airport, had same reaction. Somewhere on 2nd page it
does say "Tim BL is developing a version of this, called the Semantic
Web" or similar, in the UK paper copy I saw at least. I found it a quite
dissapointing article, wasn't clear what prompted it. It did remind me
that we should be clearer about the message that "The Web" is more than
HTML+HTTP+URLs. There's a lot of very interesting and futuristic work
hidden away in http://www.w3.org/TR/ ...some of it even implemented :)

Dan