Re: RDF tools for program versions

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:52:32 -0500 (EST)
To: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Cc: John Fletcher <j.p.fletcher@aston.ac.uk>, www-rdf-interest@w3.org

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Danny Ayers wrote:

>> Are there any RDF tools which address one of my problems?  I
>> make use of a number of software libraries which change versions
>> from time to time.  Is there a vocabulary worked out which I could
>> use to encode software name, version, what it depends on, etc.
>> In theory each piece of software could come with an RDF file which
>> described itself, how to install, etc.
>
>DOAP [1] is designed specifically for software projects, and covers
>most of what you mention. I believe one exception is a term for
>dependencies. As it happens I have one of those that needs licking
>into shape, in a general-purpose project vocabulary [2] -
>prj:dependsOn. In it's current form the schema probably isn't
>consistent with the definitions in DOAP (or even with itself), but it
>will be as soon as I have a minute ;-) Suggestions appreciated.

This is a reasonably common thing in several places - building an RDF-based
desktop would be easier if you could specify these things. For testing your
model, I suggest you have a look at a simple debian package - its
dependencies need to include versions that are compatible for the dependency,
etc.

(I have an ulterior motive - there is on and off talk of moving fink [1] to
an XML format for its packaging, and I think and RDF/XML format offers some
advantages for packaging information.)

cheers

Chaals

[1] http://fink.sourceforge.net