Re: RDF tools for program versions

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:13:47 -0000, John Fletcher
<j.p.fletcher@aston.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Are there any RDF tools which address one of my problems?  I
> make use of a number of software libraries which change versions
> from time to time.  Is there a vocabulary worked out which I could
> use to encode software name, version, what it depends on, etc.
> In theory each piece of software could come with an RDF file which
> described itself, how to install, etc.
>
> The things "in the world" like the author can come from Dublin
> Core.

DOAP [1] is designed specifically for software projects, and covers
most of what you mention. I believe one exception is a term for
dependencies. As it happens I have one of those that needs licking
into shape, in a general-purpose project vocabulary [2] -
prj:dependsOn. In it's current form the schema probably isn't
consistent with the definitions in DOAP (or even with itself), but it
will be as soon as I have a minute ;-) Suggestions appreciated.

Cheers,
Danny.

[1] http://usefulinc.com/doap
[2] http://purl.org/stuff/project