Re: HTTP Methods

On Mar 9, 2004, at 11:39 AM, Patrick Stickler wrote:

> On Mar 09, 2004, at 12:31, ext Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

>> ..
>>> If that client wanted a description of the resource denoted by the
>>> URI http://example.com/foo, it would submit a request
>>>
>>>    MGET /foo HTTP/1.1
>>>    Host: example.com
>>>
>>> Note that the only difference is the method used, and specifying
>>> the request method is part of the core HTTP client architecture.
>>
>> Ok -- so the client MUST be modified in that case - i.e. on needs
>> to add code to do 'MGET' instead of 'GET' if the client wanted a
>> description of the resource denoted by the URL.
>
> I think we are talking about different levels of "modification".

Sure - I just wanted to get things 'right' - as I mention in the summary
document similar 'changes' which really amount to looking for
a header or fishing out some URL for the other options.

One of the big advantages of the MGET change is that there
no change of semantics; totally orthogonal way of signalling
that you want metadata while -everything- else is kept the same;
just an extra 'if' and 'MGET' in your code which formulates
the HTTP request next to the 'GET' you already have.

Dw