Re: HTTP Methods

On Mar 09, 2004, at 12:31, ext Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> --DS7497142084032588857
>

> On Mar 9, 2004, at 11:21 AM, Patrick Stickler wrote:

>>> I must be missing something fundamental. HOW does the client, who
>>> needs data
>>> -about- the URL, i.e. the RDF, fetch that data ?
> ..
>> If that client wanted a description of the resource denoted by the
>> URI http://example.com/foo, it would submit a request
>>
>>    MGET /foo HTTP/1.1
>>    Host: example.com
>>
>> Note that the only difference is the method used, and specifying
>> the request method is part of the core HTTP client architecture.
>
> Ok -- so the client MUST be modified in that case - i.e. on needs
> to add code to do 'MGET' instead of 'GET' if the client wanted a
> description of the resource denoted by the URL.

I think we are talking about different levels of "modification".

If an HTTP client at one moment executes a GET, and at another
moment executes a PUT, then yes, the code is different because
in one case the specified method is "GET" and in the other case
it is "PUT", but nothing about the *architecture* of how a client
forms and executes HTTP requests has changed.

Likewise, whether a client says "GET" or "POST" or "MGET" or
"DELETE" or "MPUT" or "HEAD", etc. imposes no change to the
architecture by which HTTP clients are constructed.

HTTP clients using URIQA don't do anything "new" insofar as
methodology or architecture is concerned. They form and
execute HTTP requests and process the response. Thus, HTTP
APIs/SDKs don't have to change to support URIQA, insofar
as their functional interfaces are concerned (though some
SDKs are "hobbled" to only work with the pre-defined HTTP
methods and don't even work with WebDAV methods; but that's
a different, albeit related, issue).

Patrick

--

Patrick Stickler