Re: Mistaken identity?

From: Jon Hanna <jon@hackcraft.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 04:04:25 +0100
To: "www-rdf-interest@w3.org" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

> Right, and you have demonstrated that it can be useful to try to
> dereference a namespace URI, and sometimes to try to dereference URIs
> used as identifiers for rdf resources.  I don't deny that at all, but
> it's different from saying that a namespace _denotes_ the dereferenced
> document (namespace URIs denote nothing outside themselves)

I don't claim that a URI (whether a namespace name or not) denotes the
derefernced document, and strongly disagree with those that do. I do claim
though that if dereferencing is successful then the document returned should be
some sort of representation of the thing identified (in this case a

, or that a
> URI used as an rdf resource automatically and always _denotes_ the thing
> pointed to.

An identifier that doesn't identify the identifee is no identifier.

Jon Hanna
"…it has been truly said that hackers have even more words for
equipment failures than Yiddish has for obnoxious people." - jargon.txt