Re: Mistaken identity?

Thomas B. Passin wrote:

> Not only that, but there seems to be at least one error in the document -
>
> <rdf:Property
> rdf:about="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type">
>
> That should be "<rdfs:Property ...>" instead.  Interesting.

Point of info - it is correct as rdf:Property, Property is defined in
the RDF namespace (and appears in the schema at
http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#).
see:
http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-schema/#ch_property

> In addition, recall that in rdf, there is no unique way to split up a
> uri into a namespace part and a specific part.

Do you have a reference for this? The nearest relevant I can find is :
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-rdf-syntax-grammar-20040210/#section-Identifiers

> Rdf only requires that the concatenation comes out to the right URI
> reference.  So our exemplar uri reference here,
>
> http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type
>
> can rdf-legally be partitioned as we normally think of it -
>
> {http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#}type
>
> or
>
> {http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22}-rdf-syntax-ns#type
>
> or {http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rd}f-syntax-ns#type

I'm not sure it can, from RFC 2396:

URI-reference = [ absoluteURI | relativeURI ] [ "#" fragment ]

> The point is, you can't really determine even a namespace to try to
> dereference in the hopes of getting some useful information except by
> using heuristics that are not specified or sanctioned by the Rec.

But in general the partitioning of namespace/term is already there for you:

xmlns:myns="http://example.org#"

<myns:myterm>

etc.

> Like I said, it's trickier than it looks.

Now that I don't doubt ;-)

Cheers,
Danny.

--