RE: [ontoweb-list] Re: A discussion: Is semantic web an old fashioned idea? Is it bubble, unworthy or an interesting research area - Post your comments

> From: www-rdf-interest-request@w3.org
> [mailto:www-rdf-interest-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of
> peter.smolle@netdynamics-tech.com
>
> Nick, Miltiadis,
>
> I like this kind of discussion which probably was the same when the
> railroad invention passed the horses !
>
> To be more serious let me add some personal thoughts:

Bravo!

If it's worth having a discussion about "the" "promise"
of the Semantic Web (I didn't think it was until I read
this post), then we need a representation that captures
a core of what has been proposed; neither trivially
satisfiable baby steps nor a grab-bag of every
hypothesis that has ever been described.

(1) Super-TIBCO plus (2) super-Google, as you lay them
out below, make an excellent concise rendition: at the
heart of the canon, valuable enough to justify the
program, and concrete enough to support reasonable
debate not just about can we/can't we but also about
how and when.

There are, also, of course, (3) the unknown innovations
that may come on top of the generic but powerful
abilities to make and manipulate assertions and
represent general graphs, not to mention whatever types
of reasoning over these ultimately prove their worth. I
presume these, and their importance, can be taken as
given, at least for purposes of the present carnival,
since even Jean-Luc Delatre says in an early post, "Of
course there will be usefull byproducts, some of them
may be *really* usefull but they will show as usual at
the most unexpected places."

Also there are, or more precisely _aren't_, (4) those
advances that can be made when and if we solve really-
hard-to-intractable problems such as automatically
resolving logical models that are inconsistent in
socially important ways. I presume we can also take
these off the table, because, while many smart people
are investigating these topics, approximately no one
is basing a case for deploying the Semantic Web on a
belief in short-term production solutions to them.
(Trust me on this, Jean-Luc. I haven't ever given you
a reason not to trust me, have I? Or is that not a
valid argument? :)

So what about (1) super-TIBCO and (2) super-Google?

I personally can't get very interested in discussing
super-Google. For all the genuine issues in metadata
engineering, it's just patently obvious (IMHO) that
RDF-style assertions, or some equivalent in different
clothing, and mundane types of reasoning over them,
can advance the state of the art here in diverse
intellectually and commercially important ways. (I
don't claim that was an argument. :)

But as to super-TIBCO: as an experienced practitioner
but relative SW newbie, I would be intensely interested
in being exposed to an expert discussion (including
skeptics :) on the fundamental value add of ontologies
and reasoning in the on demand integration sphere. I
suspect that I'm not alone in this position.

----
What exactly can ontologies and reasoning do that
negotiated schemas cannot, and how - if it can be seen
today - do stakeholders in industry best exploit such
capabilities via incremental steps from the status quo?
----

I should say, my instinct is that clear and sound
answers to this question can be formulated, but I
can't formulate them today. The fundamental difficulty
for me is that I can't characterize a sweet spot
between the independent initiatives of individual
actors (companies) on the one hand, and the coordinated
actions of vertical associations, on the other, that
would be the domain of ontology-driven reasoning. Of
course, when I say that _I_ can't find such a sweet
spot, I'm speaking as the aforementioned semantic
newbie...

There's much material out there, and I am studying it
avidly. I've found much that has been extremely
valuable to someone in my position. Still, I may have
missed the key exposition(s) on this question - if so,
I apologize for wasting your time. If not, though, I
think this is a crucial discussion.

Thanks for your patience,
Mike

Michael Brian Orr