Re: RDF for 12 year olds was Re: A discussion: Is semantic web an old fashioned idea? Is it bubble, unworthy or an interesting research area - Post your comments

From: Kendall Clark <kendall@monkeyfist.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:33:15 -0500
To: Ryan Shaw <ryanshaw@sims.berkeley.edu>, danny666@virgilio.it
Cc: Adam Souzis <adam-l@souzis.com>, "Mazzilli, Rodrigo" <rodrigo.mazzilli@hp.com>, www-rdf-interest@w3.org

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 10:26:35AM -0700, Ryan Shaw muttered something about:

> I strongly agree. People love personal libraries--look at the time and
> effort poured into organizing record or book or photo collections. Look
> at the work volunteers put into MusicBrainz--its use of RDF hasn't
> stopped open-source developers from embracing it. I was disappointed
> that Kendall Clark's recent "Hacking the Library" series didn't focus
> more on the fun that can be had with RDF for that kind of stuff...

Ryan,

That series will last all of the rest of this year, and I plan columns on
the use of RDF in personal collection management, as you suggest. But first
I wanted to lay out a conceptual foundation based on classification theory
and practice.

Patience, my good man! :>

Best,
Kendall Clark