RE: Listing vocabularies RE: Some questions

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 07:12:40 -0500 (EST)
To: Victor Lindesay <victor@schemaweb.info>
Cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org

I suspect you haven't a hope of ever getting all the schemas. One interesting
approach would be to collect RDF content and collect up all the terms used,
seeing if they are defined anywhere (like a traditional search engine does).

I certainly think that collecting a number of significant ones, like
SchemaWeb does already, is a useful thing. As it happens I agree that this is
at least as important for software agents as it is for people, and perhaps
more so.

The sort of use case I imagine is authoring tools, where a user wnats to
make some kind of connection and teh tool can propopse half a dozen things
that might be useful instead of inventing a new property - somewhat like a
modification of progos' schema/ontology generator that first checks to see if
it can replace a new term with a widely used one.

For the same reason, I think it is not a good practice to make use of terms
that don't have a formal schema definition, although I suspect it will happen
for a long time to come.