Re: Time-sensitive resources using RDF?

Wei Xing,

I think your way is OK (again, a quick response). This problem was faced in
developing EARL [1], which essentially describes whether a resource conforms
to a requirement. In most of the use cases, the thing that was being assessed
could change. So the conformance would change over time.

For some time it had a similar approach, to yours. More recently the
structure changed, so that there were Assertions, which had various
properties including the result of the test (the conformance statement
itself) and the time it was done.

Comparing results then involves checking that the result you mean is relevant
at the time you are talking about (normally, that it is the most recent). One
of the things that EARL does not use at the moment is a datatype for dates
(when the last draft was written datatypes were not part of RDF) but this
should be used, in my opinion.

As Danny says, the draft note about n-ary relations covers this case among
others.

cheers

Chaals

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/EARL10 (yes, the schema doesn't validate - tehre are
some typos in it. You might find that
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/talks/200311-earl/all explains it in
simpler form for someone who can read RDF).

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Danny Ayers wrote:

>On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:43:12 +0200, Wei Xing <xing@ucy.ac.cy> wrote:
>> Does anybody  have  the experience  of  representing time-sensitive
>> resources using RDF/S?  In particular, for the time-sensitive properties?
>>
>> I am trying to describe some time-sensitive resources using RDF/S, of
>> which the values (Object) of the properties (Predicate) are changed from
>> time to time, for instance, a computer cluster (the network bandwidth
>> and the  free CPUs number of the cluster are dynamical).
[snip]
>> Not sure if my way is OK? Is there another way that allows me to
>> describe such property and its value using RDF without conflicting the
>> exsiting RDF recommendation?
>>
>> I appreciate any comments and suggestions on it.
>
>(Sorry, very quick response)  Your basic modelling approach (the
>4-tuple) looks ok, but I'm not sure about the representation in RDF
>(/XML). This may be helpful:
>
>http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-n-aryRelations/
>
>Cheers,
>Danny.
>
>--
>
>http://dannyayers.com

Charles McCathieNevile             http://www.w3.org/People/Charles
tel: +61 409 134 136                 fax(france): +33 4 92 38 78 22
Post:    21 Mitchell street, FOOTSCRAY Vic 3011, Australia    or