Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: RDFStyles: alternative to XSLT for RDF

From: <jon@hackcraft.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 15:11:17 +0100
To: www-rdf-interest@w3.org

> > If RDF had a cannonical syntax in XML then you could use XMLPath with
> > RDF and although you would not be querying the RDF model, it would
> > nevertheless work ok.
> >
> > Libby
>
> I also fully agree with that. But we don't (yet?) have a cannonical
> RDF/XML syntax. So it is not ok right now. And although it is ok from a
> pragmatic point of view, it is not from a more conceptual one (in my
> opinion). We can probably live with that, but we should be careful as it
> might not be in our best interest on the long run.
>
> Emmanuel

I'm not sure that such a canonical syntax would be useful in general (though it
might have use in some cases, such as creating a way of signing RDF by allowing
RDF -> Canonical RDF/XML -> Canonical XML -> Digest).

XPath can be used with RDF/XML that is produced by an application in a
consistent manner, in particular XML that is designed to be parsed by RDF/XML
parsers but which do not necessarily only operate in this manner. An example
being RSS1.0.

Personally I think that this is going to see more use, as a custom application
might be able to deal with its "own" XML document type more efficiently than a
general RDF tool, and there might be a desire to allow both to happen (one
for "local" use one for greater interoperability).

Jon Hanna