Re: RDF and speech acts

From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 09:26:41 +0000
To: Garret Wilson <garret@globalmentor.com>, www-rdf-interest@w3.org

At 17:25 24/11/03 -0800, Garret Wilson wrote:
>I'm adding loads of fun to RDF by reading Searle's _Speech Acts_. In
>particular, his discussion of predication (Chapter 5, page 97) is
>interesting---he claims that while a subject can "refer" to a particular,
>predication does not in the same sense involve "referring" to a universal.
>
>I've discussed on this list the need to identify the resource an RDF
>literal represents using, for example, a URI; RDF does not allow this. I
>have considered the distinction between resource nodes and literal nodes
>to be of syntactic convenience only. However, upon reflection it seems
>that historically literal nodes have been used to represent universals
>(e.g. "red" or "heavy")---although of late the RDF community seems to be
>encouraging URI-identified resources for this purpose---and resource nodes
>have been used to represent particulars. There is a certain empirical
>parallel, at least. Searle's explanations the analysis more interesting.
>
>My question is ancillary: Can someone recommend a reading list that
>addresses the intersection of the philosophy of language, semiotics, RDF,
>and the semantic web?

I'd recommend Quine's Ontological Relativity and Other Essays ... I found
the discussion of reference of terms in one of the early essays to be
particularly enlightening ... my copy's mysteriously gone into hiding right
now, so I can't be more specific.  But there's a reference and more comment
here:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sw-meaning/2003Oct/0035.html

#g

Graham Klyne