Re: Spaces in an ID, e.g., "Top Secret"?

From: Jeen Broekstra <jeen.broekstra@aidministrator.nl>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 16:15:23 +0200
To: "Roger L. Costello" <costello@mitre.org>
CC: www-rdf-interest@w3.org

Roger L. Costello wrote:

 > Suppose that I define Top Secret as an instance of
 > Classification:
 >
 > <owl:Class rdf:ID="Classification"/>
 >
 > <Classification rdf:ID="TopSecret"/>
 >
 > Note that I named it "TopSecret" and not "Top Secret", since
 > there cannot be a space in an ID value.
 >
 > A couple of days ago I presented this naming idea to some intel
 > folks and they rejected it violently ...  "The security label is
 > 'Top Secret' not TopSecret.  If ontologies cannot support a space
 >  then ontologies cannot be used".
 >
 > What do you suggest that I do?  Is there anything that I can do?

A suggestion would be to use the rdfs:label property for this purpose.

<Classification rdf:ID="TopSecret">
    <rdfs:label>Top Secret</rdfs:label>
</Classification>

It is exactly the intended use of the label property. The
identifier of an object is primarily meant for machine processing,
the label property is meant as a tool for providing a human readable
name to an entity.

Jeen
--
jeen.broekstra@aidministrator.nl