Re: (Round 2) Proposed Extensions to OWL

From: Thomas B. Passin <tpassin@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 12:22:59 -0400
To: www-rdf-interest@w3.org

[Roger L. Costello]
> Some questions:
>
> 1. I am not sure that "transform" is the right word.  Both anonymous
> resources are talking about length measures (in fact, the same length
> measure).  But one *expresses* the length measure in inches, while the
> other *expresses* the length measure in centimeters.  So, it's not a
> "transform" but rather an *expression*, i.e.,

The number is precisely the result of the transformation that comes from
applying an (abstract) "physicalLength-to-inches" operator to the physical
quantity.  The term "transformation" is a mathematical or
physics/engineering type term, and "expresses" is perhaps from some domain
of communication.  I prefer to use the mathematical (or physics/engineering)
domain here - since we are talking about physical things like lengths - but
obviously people can differ in their preference.

Cheers,

Tom P