Re: time-varying properties

From: Seth Ladd <seth@brivo.net>
Date: 25 Jun 2003 11:00:35 -0400
To: www-rdf-interest at W3C <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 10:34, Dan Brickley wrote:
> * Richard H. McCullough <rhm@cdepot.net> [2003-06-25 07:13-0700]
> >
> > Given the triples
> > (1)    John  height  60
> > (2)    John  height  70
> > can RDF say that (2) replaces (1) -- as opposed to
> > both (2) and (1) being true?
> >
> > Can OWL say that (2) replaces (1)?

Because RDF statements exist in an Open World, there is nothing stopping
those two statements from existing at the same time.  This is because
the web doesn't prohibit any particular assertion.  On the web, it can
be said that I'm a dog and a man. :)

Having said that, I've gotten around this problem in my applications by
moving my application context from one graph to another.  If I decide
that John's height is now 70, I assert that in a new graph, and then
move my application to that one.  Not pretty.

This might be solved a little nicer when people start working on trust
mechanisms for RDF.

Seth