Re: time-varying properties

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:34:21 -0400
To: "Richard H. McCullough" <rhm@cdepot.net>
Cc: www-rdf-interest at W3C <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

* Richard H. McCullough <rhm@cdepot.net> [2003-06-25 07:13-0700]

> Given the triples
> (1)    John  height  60
> (2)    John  height  70
> can RDF say that (2) replaces (1) -- as opposed to
> both (2) and (1) being true?
>
> Can OWL say that (2) replaces (1)?

Neither the RDF, RDFS or OWL specs really goes far into this
fascinating and rather tricky area. I do hope it'll get some attention
in future standardisation work, once we've all got a better handle on the
problem.

In my FOAF experiments, I've often claimed that foaf:mbox is a
'static' unambiguous property, in that a given
property/value pair (eg, foaf:mbox=mailto:danbri@w3.org) should never
be true of varying objects over time. That's tough to formalise given our
current ontology languages...

Dan
formalise given current current