Re: (Round 2) Proposed Extensions to OWL

From: Thomas B. Passin <tpassin@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 08:51:58 -0400
To: <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

[Jon Hanna]

> Another way of serialising the first as RDF/XML would be:
>
> <River rdf:ID="Yangtze">
>     <length>
>         <Length>
>             <measurement>
>                 <LengthMeasure>
>                     <rdf:type rdf:resource="LengthInMiles"/>
>                     <number>3914</number>
>                 <LengthMeasure>
>             </measurement>
>         </Length>
>     </length>
> </River>

This could be better.  It depends on whether you want the Length of the
river to be a thing in itself, separate and apart from its measure(s).  In
my original thinking, I saw the length as a thing in itself, but in the
thrill of striping I seem to have lost that.

There many types of lengths (e.g. the length of a coastline as measured by
running a roller along its outine on a map is shorter that a route that
traces all the little wiggles at a fine scale), and with the Length as a
thing, you could annotate it with such remaks, or whatever else you want.

Cheers,

Tom P