rdfs:Class and rdfs:Resource

From: Alexander Jerusalem <ajeru@vknn.org>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 15:07:20 +0000
To: <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

I am a little confused about some aspects of RDFS. To start with, is it
true that the following statements are equivalent?

<Foo rdf:about="x"/>
<rdf:Description rdf:about="x" rdf:type="Foo"/>

(I'm leaving out the namespace stuff for Foo)
This equivalence is my interpretation of the RDF typedNode concept. In
other words it means x is an instance of Foo.

If the above assumption holds, then what puzzles me is the consequence of
the following extracts from the RDFS:

1.)
<rdfs:Class rdf:about="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#Resource">
</rdfs:Class>

2.)
<rdfs:Class rdf:about="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#Class">
   <rdfs:subClassOf
rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#Resource"/>
</rdfs:Class>

1) states that rdfs:Resource is an instance of rdfs:Class. And 2) states
that rdfs:Class is an instance of itself and a subclass of rdfs:Resource.
Which means that rdfs:Class is a subclass of one of it's own instances. Am
I correct here?

-Alexander