example of a non-monotonic inference needed for interpreting the social meaning of RDF in e-commerce

From: Seth Russell <seth@robustai.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 11:09:55 -0800
To: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>, RDF interest group <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

re http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2003Feb/0164.html
point #7

... and then when you say :

   In contrast, and to illustrate that this condition is nontrivial,
   note that it would clearly be irrational to require the use of an
   invalid inference process to preserve such social meanings.

I am in the process of implementing something strangely similar to your
example for my online business [1].  I cannot see a way to translate the
onlinefeed of my catalog as defined by Google [2] into RDF,  such that
it would *not* require an "invalid inference process" to preserve my
intended social meaning.    In particular I intend to providing the feed
to Google in support of their new Froogle service [3]  and also to
publish it off my web site as an RDF feed.  Were someone to use the RDF
feed to determine if I said that I could delive a particular product at
any given time, they would need to use a non-monotonic inference process.

For example my RDF feed might contain the triple:

speaktomecatalog:SHAGGY froogle:exp_date "20031201"

Then later my RDF feed might contain:

speaktomecatalog:SHAGGY froogle:instock "N"

The first triple entails the availibility of [4] the second denies it.
 I would expect shopping agents to understand the meaning of the second
triple even in the presence of the first triple, and I do not think that
would be "clearly irrational" on my part.

What do you think?

[1] http://speaktomecatalog.com
[2] http://robustai.net/RDF-COMMONS/datafeed.pdf
[3] http://froogle.google.com/