RE: SWAD-Europe Report: Mapping Semantic Web Data with RDBMSes

Hi Prajakta,

---
I am trying to create a registry of different models. There will be
different
namespaces. Can this be represented using the RDBMSs like JENA and the
others
mentioned in this article?

Also , by the storage mechanism described in the article, is it possible to
search the database for a particular resource? i.e. a model based search?
---

The answer to your questions is yes.  The DCMI metadata registry
(http://dublincore.org/dcregistry/index.html) was built using Jena and
PosgreSQL.

My own experiences with RDF and RDBMS have been mixed.  They do work
together, but require a bit more work than more traditional applications in
order to maintain a reasonable level of performance.  The reason is the
limited options for indexing.  For example: a tradional (by this I mean
non-RDF) application that will access data in a RDB by zip code would
typically build an index on the zip code column.  This is not really an
option with RDF since 'zip code' would be just another statement.  The trick
with RDF seems to be to split the data between several databases or build
'pointers', using application code, during the data load.

Have you looked at BerkelyDB?  The performance improvement over RDBMS is
significant.

Regards... harry