Re: Trust, Context, Justification and Quintuples

On Dec 20, 2003, at 06:02, ext Thomas B. Passin wrote:

> Sandro Hawke wrote:
>>
>> That is: if you get a "200 OK" with Content-Type: application/rdf+xml,
>> you know the URI (according to its host) identifies a knowledge base,

Eh? What?

You can't *ever* know what a given URI denotes based on what an HTTP
server might give you when dereferencing that URI to a representation.

That RDF/XML you get back might simply be a formal description of
the thing denoted by the URI, which may very well *not* be a knowledge
base.

All that has happened in the above scenario is that you had a URI
that denotes *something*, and you asked for a representation of
that *something* encoded in a particular MIME type. In no way does
the response, successful or otherwise, tell you *anything* about
the nature of the actual resource denoted by that URI (other than
whether it does or does not have a representation of that particular
MIME type that you have the right to access).

In fact, that RDF/XML you get back may explicitly tell you that
the thing denoted by that URI, via which you obtained the RDF/XML,
is a goat named Bubba that lives down the road from me.

Regards,

Patrick

--

Patrick Stickler