Re: RDF and XML Schema types

From: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 20:49:12 +0300
To: <mbatsis@netsmart.gr>, <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

Hi Manos,

It's important to note that anyURI is a lexical datatype
that defines a set of lexical representations which
correspond to URIs. That does not mean that those lexical
representations, even if expressed in an RDF graph, are
the same as URIref nodes in the RDF graph which denote

So, in principle, there is no conflict between RDF and the
anyURI datatype. It simply depends on what you want to
say in RDF.

If you want to specify a resource, use a URIref. E.g.

   <rdf:Description rdf:about="#something">
      <foo rdf:resource="http://foo.org/blargh"/>

If you want to specify a URI (the actual identifier string)
use a literal that is typed as anyURI. E.g.

   <rdf:Description rdf:about="#something">
      <bar rdf:datatype="&xsd;anyURI">http://foo.org/blargh</bar>

You might view the second case as a kind of quoting of
the URIref. Because it is quoted, it does not actually
denote a resource. Rather, the literal node denotes the URI

Does that help?

[Patrick Stickler, Nokia/Finland, (+358 50) 483 9453, patrick.stickler@nokia.com]