Re: The Tragedy of RSS

From: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 16:22:25 +0100
To: nmg@ecs.soton.ac.uk

>>>Nick Gibbins said:
> However, I question whether the use of DC-in-RDF [1] elements in a
> document which is not an RDF document can really be said to be a use
> of RDF per se, especially given that the element names are identical
> to those used in a 'pure' XML encoding of DC [2].
>
> [1] Expressing Simple Dublin Core in RDF/XML
>     http://dublincore.org/documents/2001/11/28/dcmes-xml/
> [2] Guidelines for implementing Dublin Core in XML
>     http://dublincore.org/documents/2002/09/09/dc-xml-guidelines/

I'm baffled by this claim.

I co-edit [1] and edit the rdf/xml syntax specification.  [1] defines
a profile of rdf/xml, which remains an rdf/xml documents.  Like RSS
1.0.  It does use RDF because it is RDF.

[2] are guidelines and don't define an XML format but suggest
techniques.  Your comments about comparing element names is
ambiguous; doe you mean the XML element or the Dublin Core Element?
Either way, it infers nothing to say that [1] is not RDF.

Dave