(unknown charset) Re: why query languages and RDF data have syntaxes?

Personally, I implemented a query language for RDF because I was doing
the same kind of api calls over and over again. I was writing JSPs and
servlets. I didn't want to have to hand code RDF in XML (or RDF by an
API) to create queries. SQL-like query languages like SquishQL, RDFdb's
query language RDQL and Algae, query the RDF model but with a relatively
simple, familiar, SQL-like syntax. The connection with SQL is purely
syntactic; the query is basically a subgraph with bits missing.

If you were automating the generation of queries, then RDF/XML would
probably be ok, but for humans to create (and read), an SQL-like syntax
is easier. Building a query from API calls negates the point of the
convenience of a query language.

cheers

Libby