why query languages and RDF data have syntaxes?

From: JeffZhang <jeffzhang726@yahoo.com.cn>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 12:21:36 -0800
To: "www-rdf-interest@w3.org" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

Dear all,
    I can not understand why syntaxes of several current rdf query languages are so much different
with the syntax of RDF data. In my opinion, a query is match a pattern(a subgraph with
undetermined values) against the universal(the big graph in knowledge base). Why not use
just a small rdf data set with blank nodes to represent the subgraph?
I think these query languages have more close relation with sql than with rdf model.

Best regards,

Do You Yahoo!?