Re: Contexts (spinoff from copy and wrap rdf statements)

David Menendez wrote:

> At 7:45 AM -0800 2002-11-23, Seth Russell wrote:
>
>> I agree with danny here, and I think the WG would also agree with
>> danny.  <http://somewhere/me.rdf> identifies a document.  Which is
>> why we need #ThisGraph.  There is currently nothing to refer to that
>> *abstract* thing.  The document is a tangeable physical thing that
>> contains token strings.  The graph is an abstract thing that contains
>> triples.  The parser in an application will turn the token strings
>> from the document into triples in the application's database.  If we
>> are to talk about this distinction in an interoperable manner, then
>> we need a *standard* way to refer to the document as opposed to the
>> graph.
>

> I still prefer to think of the resource being the information, and any
> particular document being a representation of the resource. For
> example, say <http://example.org/privacy> is the URI of a company's
> privacy policy, which might be available in multiple languages and
> formats and might vary over time. The actual bytes which you would
> receive (the representation) will vary, but the resource is constant.
>
> Similarly, I would think of <http://somewhere/me.rdf> as being a
> dataset which can be expressed in terms of triples. Any RDF documents
> you get as a result of dereferencing the resource would be
> representations.
>
> If you needed to refer to an actual RDF/XML document that you
> downloaded at a specific time, you could use something like:
>
> _:a rdf:type eg:Representation;
>     dc:source <http://somewhere/me.rdf>;
>     dc:format "application/rdf+xml";
>     dc:language "en";
>     dcq:issued "2002-11-23t10:30:00z".

I suppose that would work as long as we agree that the uri [of the
document] identifies the graph and not the document.  Thing is we have
text in the Concepts document [1]  that conflicts with your interpertation:
       "So when someurl#frag is used in an RDF document,
        someurl is presumed to designate an RDF document."
The whole point is agreeing on a standard, and bucking the WG is not
going to help us there.   I dont think using the frag #ThisGraph
conflicts with any WG text.  It would be nice if the WG saw the need to
refer to the abstract graph with a URI and gave us a standard syntax to
do that.  But don't hold your breath.

Seth Ruissell