Re: a URI is a name (tel uri scheme and VCARD RDF)

Richard H. McCullough wrote:

> I followed the link at the bottom of this email, and read Sean B.
> Palmer's interesting essay on URIs.  It's the first time I have ever
> bothered to read anything about URIs.  In one sense, that has been a
> great advantage -- I haven't been distracted by the details of how
> URIs are structured, or the ongoing discussions of whether a URI
> points to a document, or a graph, etc.
>
> So, I can sit back, with a somewhat detached perspective, and observe
> that a URI is simply a _name_ for something, and the meaning of a URI
> is the _something_ that the name refers to.
>
> For example, if we want to talk about Linus Torvalds in the context of
> URIs & RDFS, we might have three different _somethings_ that we need
> three different _names_ for:
>
>     Linus Torvalds the person
>     a document that contains RDFS statements that describe facts about
> Linus Torvalds
>     a graph that contains nodes and links that describe facts about
> Linus Torvalds
>
> My impression, based on a few RDF-interest emails, is that much
> confusion has been generated by trying to use one URI when three URIs
> are required.  It may be possible to adopt some conventions to allow
> one URI to be simply mapped to three URIs.
> But the fact remains -- _three_ URIs are required.

Yep, I agree - three things are beind identified and three URI are
required:.

Linus Torvalda the person
  http://foo/#LinusTorvalds
a documdent that contains RDFS statements that describe facts about
Linus Torvalds
  http://foo/
a graph that contains nodes and links that describe facts about Linus
Torvalds
  http://foo/#ThisGraph

Note that the abstract things are identified by UriRef(s) with fragments
and the tangeable document is identified by a URI.

Seth Russell