  From: Frank Manola
  To: Richard H. McCullough
  Cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org ; David Menendez ; Brian McBride
  Sent: Friday, November 22, 2002 11:56 AM
  Subject: Re: subclasses (RDF vocabulary definitions)

  Richard H. McCullough wrote:

  > In enumerating the alternatives, I am NOT talking about
  >
  >     aa rdf:type Animal  entails  aa rdf:type Man
  >
  > I am talking about
  >
  >     Man  rdfs:sameAs  Animal

  I'll try again:

  I know that's what you're explicitly talking about;  but "sameAs" is
  just a piece of syntax unless we can also talk about what "sameAs"
  *means*.  And it seems to me we have to talk what "sameAs" means by
  looking at the logical consequences of stating it.  I'm saying that if
  you say

  Man "sameAs" Animal, you are saying

  if aa is a Man, then aa is an Animal

  AND

  if aa is an Animal, then aa is a Man.

  Putting that in RDF entailment rule form (which is what I did earlier in
  this thread for the entailments allowed by rdfs:subClassOf), Man
  "sameAs" Animal would mean

  Man sameAs Animal
  aaa rdf:type Man

  entails

  aaa rdf:type Animal

  and

  Man sameAs Animal
  aaa rdf:type Animal

  entails

  aaa rdf:type Man

  On the one hand, I take it you will agree that, at any point in time, it
  might very well be the case that the set of resources (the set of things
  with URIs) that are also described as being of class Animal (having
  rdf:type properties with class Animal as the value) might very well be
  the same as the set of resources described as being of class Man (having
  rdf:type properties with class Man as the value), even if you've stated
  that Man is a proper subset of Animal?  The two sets being the same is
  an "accident" of sorts:  I've just not described any wolves or tigers
  yet.  But this situation surely must be allowed to exist.  On the other
  hand, if I have the "sameAs" *definition*, this is the statement of a
  *rule* I should be able to make inferences from:  I should be able to
  infer from the fact that something is an Animal that it necessarily must
  be a Man, and vice-versa.

  Now, Man rdfs:subClassOf Animal certainly allows for the situation above
  to exist where the sets of resources you've so-far identified as Man and
  Animal happen to be the same.  However, my point is that, if
  rdfs:subClassOf, *as a definition*, did not rule out the possibility
  that the two class had to be the same, it would allow both the "sameAs"
  entailments:

  Man rdfs:subClassOf Animal
  aaa rdf:type Man

  entails

  aaa rdf:type Animal

  and

  Man rdfs:subClassOf Animal
  aaa rdf:type Animal

  entails

  aaa rdf:type Man

  And my point was that RDF does not license this second entailment.

  --Frank