Re: KR and RDF Redux

Richard--

For one thing, RDF doesn't know anything about parts of *English*
speech, just about parts of RDF syntax, so in

      <xx:John> <xx:wentTo> <xx:TheStore>

"wentTo" is certainly a property as far as RDF is concerned.  For
another, if you want to strictly rule out verbs, how do you still allow

ex:John ex:authorOf ex:theBook

while ruling out

ex:John ex:wrote ex:theBook

("wrote" is a verb after all;  wouldn't you say the two forms meant the
same thing?)

You could get much more precise in your categories if you wanted, and do
something like:

ex:wentTo rdf:type ex:PastAction
ex:agent rdf:type rdfs:Property
ex:agent rdfs:domain ex:PastAction
ex:agent rdfs:range ex:Person
ex:where rdf:type rdfs:Property
ex:where rdfs:domain ex:PastAction
ex:where rdfs:range ex:Location
ex:John rdf:type ex:Person
ex:theStore rdf:type ex:Location

ex:wentTo ex:agent ex:John
ex:wentTo ex:where ex:theStore

(see John Sowa's book "Knowledge Representation" if you want to delve
into this kind of thing further).

In these examples, we're trying to record English statements in a (very)
restricted syntax, and in principal you can make that jump as broad or
narrow as you like (before you start worrying about the logical
machinery necessary to actually *record* the meanings of those
statements in a machine-interpretable way).

Now, how did you say

      <xx:John> <xx:wentTo> <xx:TheStore

in KR?

--Frank